- 1 in 5 families can't pay their bills
- 1in 3 families can't afford the costs, such as child care and transportation, to keep a job
- "To address the issue, the community needs to support local companies that would locate within the city near the needy populations and provide jobs from manufacturing to construction to services"
- "Provide jobs that do not require college education but provide a living wage"
- "A Local Job Hub" to match workers with jobs.
The Charlottesville area economic environment remains weak:
- Private sector employment has vanished--and is not coming back any time soon.
- Local and State unemployment is rising.
- While there are several major employers in this area: UVA, UVA Health System, Martha Jefferson Hospital, NGIC/DIA, State Farm Insurance, all of these institutions have recently, or will be, cutting back (or cutting even further).